Old 01-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afloden
Hello,

With the FWD fuse in the rear grinding/ vibrating/ creaking has stopped. The bearing would make noise while driving straight also. Bearings are silent now. The sound is like metal on metal. Very grinding like with vibration, and painful sounding, with a rare creak or high pitch noise. It tended to only do it after the car warmed up completely, and only while going forward. It only happens at low speeds when parking or turning from a stop. All the reading on this site, leads me to rear differentials, transfer plate/clutch, or the solenoid C. With all the reading though there is no one for sure cure for the problem.

Tires are almost brand new Continental Extreme Contact.

My brother(owns 92(?) black LS) lives in the KC area(2 hrs from here) and thats where we did the bearing. Is it safe/good to drive it that far with the FWD fuse in or with this problem happening? Again, at speeds above ten there is no noise associated with turning.

Welcome to the site.

Even after two years!

I'm not an expert on your tranny, the US one is a bit different than ours. The one thing sticks out, the noise goes away when driving with the FWD fuse in. To me, that would seem to indicate that you have a problem with the transfer clutch, which becomes disengaged when this fuse is used.

You mention grinding and metallic noises. This may indicate you have worn away all the friction material off this clutch. Now it could be the case that the C solenoid was stuck in the on [or off, not sure which] position, and this caused your plates to bind all the time, eventually wearing them down to the noisy bits.

Have you been noticing the rear wheels binding as you turn on gravel or soft surfaces for a while?

That's my guess.

And I think it's less expensive to fix than the whole tranny. The back part comes off to fix that clutch.

Hope it works out easy for you.

[BTW, Randy had rear drive problems and drove for many months with that fuse in. So 25 miles would be a pittance really. I don't think it creates a problem to drive with it in. However, if your problem was with the rear diff, continuing to drive would make it worse all right. It just sounds to me like your transfer clutch is almost bound up solid.]

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl