Thread: backpressure
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2002, 03:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Correct

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
You're right...backpressure isn't the right word...it's kinda getting tossed around too much here. What I'm asking about is the scavenging effect. If the gases have an area to expand at just the right location, then that expansion will create a vacuum and pull the following exhaust gases out. That's why I want to know if 2 resonators where the cats were would be best, or if one resonator in a stock-like location would be better...heck, would it be best to just cut the stock resonator off the stock pipe I kept and weld that into my new system in the same place it was stock? Now that I've asked, I don't really think there's anybody on the network with a degree in acoustics or waves or something of that sort, so I'm guessing it's gonna have to be experimental...unfortunately I don't have the $$ to experiment. I guess for now I'll keep the KC pipes and the straight through path where the cats were, and just hope that sealing and tightening bolts will solve my buzzing problem. This is, however, an interesting discussion, so please feel free to add to it.
Don't put 2 resonators where the cats were, as they will move the point of resonance up beyond the rev range of the engine.

Put a chamber in the standard position. It does not have to be a
SVX one, most modern cars have one, so any is better than none, bigger is better though as I said before it needs to be well built to withstand the battering the sound waves will give it otherwise the smooth sections will reverberate and make more noise.
Go to the muffler shop see what they have, that will fit.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.