View Single Post
Old 02-25-2004, 06:52 PM
MCMXCII SVX

Newbie - original tranny - recommendations?

Hello everyone! I'm new here so please bear with me...

I'm the original owner of a 92 SVX LS-L. Have had no problems with it. No mods to it at all. 69,000 mainly highway miles and meticulously serviced.

Just recently I noticed the slightest hesitation in the tranny when shifting into drive or reverse. Nothing much, but a tiny delay. Took it to dealer who said "transmission pump is weak". I'm not an engine expert but that didn't sound right. Hadn't heard of a trans pump before. (Is there one on an SVX?) No indications yet of slippage while shifting.

Anyway, was surfing SVX sites when I was surprised to find they are quite prone to tranny problems. (The dealer had never mentioned any SVX tranny problems and I never got any mailings from SOA about them so I was blissfully ignorant of that fact until just recently.)

Now I'm worried that this may be the start of the dreaded tranny failure that has afflicted so many of us. With so many having experienced tranny problems, I'm looking for advice on the best path forward. Here's your chance to recommend what you would do with an untouched tranny...

1) Is this a sign of the tranny starting to fail?

2) What mods do you recommend to extend the engine/tranny life of this great vehicle? (I've read thru other threads and I gather that a cooler should be added?)

3) Is it advisable to drive as is (vacation trip coming up) or should I forego putting mileage on it for now?

4) Does anyone know of a good SVX shop in East Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, or Western North Carolina?

Knowing what you do now, what would you do if it were your SVX? Thanks!