View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 12:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to sharky512345
Sunroof will not shut some of the time.

Hi, I know this has been done before and i'm sorry for starting another thread but I've searched and found a couple different things on sticking sunroofs but just wanted some more opinions.

Okay, I can open my sunroof fine, it goes back all the way without any trouble and does not get stuck when I am opening (i don't need to push up or anything). But when i go to try and close it it goes all the way back to where it is about to fall down to lay flush with the rest of the roof and just stops and feels like it is getting stuck on something or the motor isn't strong enough to get past something that may be in the track (dirt, grime, etc...).

Sometimes the sunroof will shut all by itself without any problems at all, but this problem has been happening more and more often lately. I can shut the sunroof if i pull over, get out of the car, push the back of the sunroof forward while holding the button and that shuts it well and it pops right into place just as it should.

I have had this car since december 2004 and the first time it started sticking was maybe one or 2 weeks ago.

I should have said that I have already tried cleaning out the sunroof already last thursday, and that helped a little bit for that day (i was able to open and shut the roof a couple times in the driveway before i went inside). And now it's back to sticking and not shutting. I cleaned all the green slimey stuff that was caked onto the metal tracks of the roof pretty good and lubed it up with silicone spray like the other threads said that i should. Oh, and I also checked the clutch bolt thing and that was right on, it stopped spinning at the exact time the sunroof was fully opened or fully shut.

So right now I don't really know how else to clean it. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be the roof motor cause it probably would have trouble opening or open noticible slower if that were the case, so i ruled out that option. The only thing I can think of is that either the track is so filled with crap (expecially concentrated in that one spot right before closed) that the roof won't close without help, or that something maybe got stuck in the track (not really thinking this as much).

Basically what my question boils down to is how can i clean the sunroof tracks better? I was out there getting gunk out of it for a good 30-60 minutes and it didn't seem to help at all. Any chemical in particular that i should use and any method or tool i should use to make it easier?

P.S. sorry about the long, droning, repetitive post