Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
Trevor,
I have done the tests and these are the results:

AC READINGS without any dash lights on

Battery terminals with engine OFF = 0 VAC
Battery terminals with engine ON = .042 VAC

AC READINGS with the dash lights ON

Battery terminals with engine ON = .018 VAC

I have checked all the readings over and over and these are the accurate numbers.
I’ve also noticed one wire out of three (seen through the alternator slots) that had the insulation cracked open and exposing the bare wire. Could this have anything to do with it?
Dan, (?) Good stuff and special thanks.

I had hoped for a more substantial reading of the AC voltage but the result is still indicative, particularly as turning on the dash lights on causes a reduction. There is little doubt that the alternator rectifier circuit is faulty.

Would you please advise exactly which dash lights you are referring to and exactly how they are affected, i.e. come on when they should not be and steady or flashing?

The wire exposed would appear to have an enamel covering intact and it is difficult to see if it is making contact with the frame. Can you see if there is evidence of actual contact?

Whatever, it does not indicate good workmanship in respect of the rebuild and could comprise a fault. As it is one wire of a bundle of three, this could indicate a fault in a single phase in the alternator output.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!