View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 02:19 AM

Speedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
Could someone explain how this error could happen by a swap?

My understanding of the speedo setup is that a gear is driven from the right side axle, which in turn does some magnetic signaling that gets decoded and sent on to the speedometer.

My point is the speedo, since it's driven by axle revolutions, should register exactly the same (good or bad) before & after, regardless of the ratio installed.

So, which automotive class do I need to take over again?
The speed sensor is doing what it is surpose to do,need to slow down the speed sensor< it is messuring the speed of the alxe that is turning, say the svx was turing 50 times and now it is turning 60 times because of the smaller gears, so you will have to change the speedo gears, say4:11 has 40 splines and the svx has 60 that means the speed sensor is counting revolotion per alxe, it is not the sensor it is the speedo gears itself, because the axle is turning faster,your right it is decoding the signal but it is for the 4:11 not the 3:54, The samller the gear the faster it turns, the speed sensor is desisgn to work with the 3:54,not the 4:11, I have not got into this yet since i am still in the process but somehow it has all got to match from one tranny to the other, The speedo gears are spline with more or less and the speed sensor has got to signal it has 4:11 or 4:44, you might have to change the gears on the axle shaft to match the speed sensor, If i am not mistaken the speedo on the axle has 41 spline while the sensor has 10 and the stock has 35 while the sensor has 10 so big difference in ratio, don't know if speedo gears are interchaneable or not, You can take to the speedo shop where they calabrate them buy moving the spring on the dial behind the speedometer they either tighten it up or back, it just like the old time clocks when they were fast you move the spring tension one way or the other about 60 bucks here in NC, best way to go, Just some thoughts on this, it does fix the mileage to
I might be all wrong on the SVX but i know on GM you have to match all the speedo gears to be correct, you got to change the speedo gears in the trans and the sensor gears to be correct, when you change out 3:55 to 4:10