Thread: Turbo project
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2005, 05:18 PM

Exclamation Spindoctor reply

Thanks for the info so far- Please keep it coming.
As for the year of the car I looked at the pillar plate when I first posted and
its birthday is 7/91 so that is where that came from.
As far as the blower mod idea- I had first looked into building my own using an Eaton M-112 blowing up through an air to water intercooler.
However my main reason for going with the turbo is control. Since I have been unable to find anyone who can tell me where the limits of this engine are
a turbo with intercooler and water injection, stand alone control etc. means I have the ability to sneak up the boost while watching for the signs of failure.
I can spool up soft at first and if things look good I can work up to a full anti-lag launch with up to 21 psi at 2500 rpm.
Obviously, with a blower, you lose out on some of that control.
Once a limit has been established by means of the old "grow-it till you blow it" method, I can fix the weak spots and go from there.
Which brings me to the trany. Par & Pfitzner make some nice stuff and when the poor thing finally gernades thats probably direction I will go. All the rally guys who come to the dyno say thats the HD stuff.
As far a closing the deck and making custom rails I have no problems doing that for this project. What I was looking for was a short cut if someone out there has already done this. If not, then it looks like a trip to the old water-jet guys.
If you want to see my shop you can go to Dynoauthority.com (should be up by June with lots of cool pictures info and links) or Dynoauthority.net this is the old site with some stuff still there.
Or you can pick up the latest issue of Subiesport and look at the article done at our facility.
I started this project do to a put-up or shut-up discussion after a day of tuning Porsches when I made the comment that if they where water cooled we would be able to get more out of them.(the Porsche guys didn't like that) I mentioned the EG33 as a perfect rival and was told that if it was do'able someone would have done it by now.
So here I am setting out to beat up on Porches.
Thanks again for all your input - I hope to have the build done in time to get to the track before this season is over.
Tim H - The Spindoctor