View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002, 05:37 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by CopsodyX

I tried the PM thing...it didn't work...sorry. I hope you don't mind answering here...

- How's your gas mileage?

- What's your top speed?

- How many RPM at 80?

- The Impreza tranny...is it strong enough? How are the shifts? Does it feel "right" in the SVX, smooth, etc.? How long have you had it installed? Is the car any noisier from the manual?

Thanks a lot.
-I got about 24 MPG going to the 10th Anniv. Meet(but the rear wheel bearing was grinding part of the way there and all the way home)

-I haven't try to find out the top speed, but figure it'll go just as fast as it did with the auto, even though it's geared lower-the auto and 3:54 stock gears couldn't overcome the wind resistance over about 150 MPH....where-as the manual with lower gears, through less drivetrain loss and the RPM range putting the available HP more into the range it needs to be, to overcome the wind resistance at that MPH.
In short I believe a SVX with a manual and 4:11 gears has a higher top speed than one with the stock gearing and an auto.

-I don't recall without going out and checking, but I think it runs around 3700RPM at 80
I thin Stevesby posted a site that you can input the gear ratios of your tranny, your tire size and your final drive ratio and it will tell you the speed at any RPM.

-I've had it in for over a year now, had no problems, the cheap clutch is still going, it shift like all Subaru manuals, kind of notchy. It looks and feels right at home in the SVX.

I've not regreted swapping it at all since I got it on the road.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"