View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JJ-
Ok i have called a couple of places, im looking at a decent sum of $$$ for repairs, those that i have spoken to however are against a converstion to a 4.44, or 4.11, they wanna keep it original and upgrade the stock box.

One of the places told me if i wanted to to the cam work i told them about they could upgrade the stock box to have a higher stall and do some other things to change the ratio!

What to do what to do?
Yes Jake, what to do?. I can only say what I would do, and that is to rebuild the SVX box. The cam work, doesn't need a higher stall converter, in fact it would make the car a pig to drive in traffic, useing higher rpms to take off every time.

Other options would be to use a Liberty box with the svx 3.7 front ratio fitted to it, but the cost would probably be much the same, by the time they set the front diff gears up properly.

If the SVX box was rebuilt, useing the later parts, it should be trouble free. Your trouble probably stemed from the early facings that were used then. They were changed after 93, so it should not happen again. I would get the torque converter checked to see if the linings on the lock up clutch are flaking, as this may have been where the pieces came from that caused the problem in the first place. The ATF from the converter flows through the radiator cooler, bigger pieces got stuck there to block it, smaller pieces flowed through there to end up in the mainshaft to block the lube passages.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.