View Single Post
Old 05-03-2004, 02:57 AM
ou2mame

Quote:
Originally posted by SorelyVeXed
Hey, ou2mame! I remember you from the KJ boards over at Jeeps Unlimited in early 2002. I was "pathfinder", and I remember having great technical debates/discussions with the likes of Dillinger, tusconMark, Eagle, Rich Truesdell, Bronco One, Liberty-4-All, and many others regarding the Jeep Liberty versus other Jeeps and other SUVs. I see you're still giving folks hell. Anyway, with regard to your citing Grand Cherokee reliability as being better than the SVX's reliability - many SVXers may not be aware of the litany of horror stories surrounding the Grand Cherokee (especially the WJ - particularly 1999 and 2000), and the laundry list of mechanical problems which plagued the truck - but I am. It's interesting - I see parallels in the production of the Grand Cherokee WJ and the SVX. Both were somewhat flawed executions of excellent ideas. Both had mechanical flaws in early production which led to numerous and costly repairs for owners, and both have fiercely loyal owners who are passionate about their vehicles, in spite of the aforementioned problems. And both are, despite their problems, great vehicles in their own right. While I am sorry about the numerous problems you had with your SVX, I don't think the WJ's history points to it being any more reliable. Even the most passionate of its owners don't exactly see it as the quintessential paradigm of automotive dependability! With virtually all vehicles, you will have a number of owners who have had no problems, and a number of owners who have had nothing but problems. My take - you investigate the flaws of the vehicle you own, you take as many preventive maintenance steps as possible - and pray. Your ZJ is a great truck, and I'm sure you love it. I love my SVX, issues and all. But then again, I love the Jeep Liberty too! Take care...
I totally remember those ifs debates... and I'm still iffy about the liberty, and the zj in general. I agree that the wj has a lot of flaws, but I'm totally in denial about the zj

I'm not saying to get a grand cherokee.. I got mine dirt cheap and pretty much in mint condition. But the best luck I've had is with trucks in general. My bronco will probably outlive the zj even with twice the miles.. I'm confident in that.

I really don't think the svx is a great first car, and neither is a jeep for that matter. They both take a lot of time and money if bought used to get running right, or new to keep running..

But given the same miles, I would definitely trust my bronco or jeep compared to an svx, unless given a lot fo money, and a lot of time.

I'm sure I just had a bad experience with the svx, but it seemed like a good idea at the time, when in reality, it made me suffer more than anything else...

And the liberty... heh.. I'm pushing my girlfriend to buy one actually. It all depends on your needs. It would definitely suit hers. She's going to school in boston, and the winters are pretty rough. Her grandmother's willing to spring for a new car, and she wants my girl to get a sentra... I'm like uhh... Just get a liberty.. It pains me to say it, but it fits her needs. Plus, when my jeep's in the shop, at least hers'll be under warranty, heh..