View Single Post
Old 03-01-2003, 04:31 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
A Spade is a Spade

If you want to know the truth, it's a matter of the shop owners and mechanics having been screwed over by customers in 'selective stupid mode'. No matter how many times you tell them, no matter if you have them sign a statement regarding the fact that there may be other problems looming, no matter if you're potentially saving them 75% of the cost of a full rebuild, the vast majority will stick it to a shop that tried to help them out.
If I tell someone I'll replace part A but parts B, C & D may have suffered from part A's failure and I won't guarantee their survival you can bet that they'll try to stuff me when anything else happens. You wanna know how many times we hear "Since you worked on my bumper every time I use the lighter the radio changes stations. If you don't fix it I'm gonna call my lawyer!"

Don't think it doesn't happen. I remember people bragging about 'renting' tools from Wal-Mart, asking how can they screw-over BestBuy for a free radio install and then take the radio back just to get the harness, etc. The kind of stuff that makes me proud to be a member of society. But I digress....

Anyway, what I'm leading up to is to not forget that the transmission has already suffered from the problem and ignoring it for however long won't help it in the least. Denial and wishful thinking never fixed a thing. I'd be hard pressed to rationalize spending close to $1000 for R&R and replacing a gasket when the friction materials are probably close to worn out. If you were to do this repair, in this manner, how many miles would you expect in return in order to call it a justifiable expense?