View Single Post
Old 01-10-2003, 05:23 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
Yes around town and below approx 50 mph use 3 which is direct drive whereas D is overdrive for cruising. The SVX has high gearing as you must have observed when watching the tacho.

If you are in D around town or on a winding road the tranny will constantly hunt down and up from D to 3 causing udue gear and friction surface wear. Also the torque converter will be slipping more and creating extra heat. What is more in very dense slow stop go traffic it can be good idea to stay in 2 for the same reasons.

It is a good thing to do a little thinking for the tranny. Auto it may be but it has a limited brain ! You will find a lot of info. and discussion on this subject in posts here if you do a search.
Hi Trevor,

The USA tranny has four (4) forward speeds and then the torque converter locks-up in forth. It is really a five speed auto. At least I had a few Cryslers that caled them 5 speeds.

I have found that the least amount of heat is gererated when the TC is locked-up and the car is NOT driven hard.

I have found that driving hard in 3 or D makes no difference. The temp out of the tranny still hits 240F (166C) on 95F (35C) hot days while running up and down hills.

I think that accelerating around city block corners puts a lot of heat into the trans becasue the transfer clutch is slipping most of the time under higher loads. This due to the difference in the front and rear shaft speeds out of the trans. (AWD USA models)

I also think that a stoppage/blockage of fluid in the cooler or in the control valve will cause overheating. For this a temperature gauge is needed.

I also think the tranny pan is a better place to measure the fluid temperature. However, I have not done this yet.

I also think that if the tranny starts to act up it can be corrected before it goes to pieces provided it is driven until the problem is found. In particular this applies to RWD transfer valve not working, clogged filter and brake band adjustment.

John