View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 05:03 AM

You can take things a little too far in the search for accuracy

Without knowing anything at all about the ECU I think we can safely surmise that the TPS voltage read by the ECU is unlikely to be used to access a myriad of subtly different lookup tables. I'd be very surprised if the TPS output was interpreted as being any more than the equivalent of none, a little, some, a lot, and maximum, which would call for five different mappings (and I suspect that this is too many!).

Similarly, I would venture that other voltages are only significant to the CPU when they cross certain threshold values.

Most inputs can be categorised as rich/lean, cold/hot, etc.

I don't dispute that the input values are readable to quite high degrees of apparent accuracy but I have my doubts as to the dependability of the calibration behind them.
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of Science, whatever the matter may be.
Sir William Thomson