View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Re: timing belt help

Bump for anyone who needs the hep..

I was about to punch myself trying to get it all in place together. "Pin".... Red Text Below {I actually had to put the tensioner in a vice to close it}

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
I have one "pointer"... I have shared this once before but a procedure that I "invented" to make "a picnic" out of lining up the marks correctly when installing a timing belt instead of the chore it sometimes could be is this... This is amazing... it makes the job so easy you almost feel like you have cheated

Unbolt the bottom "center" timing belt idler pulley and put the pulley and the bolt in a place where you can easily find them to put them back on later. Now, you can actually just lay the timing belt in the place... at all the correct positions, exactly where it is supposed to be!. The tensioner must be bolted in place compressed, and remain compressed with its pin in place. leave the pin there for now. Next, simply locate the roller pulley that you just took off a couple of minutes ago, bolt it back on, and torque the bolt properly. The belt will be just snug now, with the idler pully back in place, and the timing belt will remain in the correct position. (if you "laid it on" correctly) Now and only now, "pull the pin" on the tensioner. OK, it's OK! "PULL THE PIN"
This actually works like a champ.
Now, say "thank you" and go to bed!

Keith
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles

Last edited by ShiuludeSVX; 10-25-2013 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Emphasis