Thread: Buying a 6 spd
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Buying a 6 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
It is likely the ECU will work OK with the 6 speed, loads of people have put them in.

I'm not too certain of how many may have put in one that uses the DCCD, that's another level of complication. Assuming the DCCD controller "talks" to the gearbox and they get on about their business, I expect all should work OK.

In the SVX the TCU communicates with the ECU. As the gearchanges happen the ECU cuts power [possibly momentarily drops out one side of the flat six, I'm not 100% sure how it works] so that the clutches are saved and the gearchange is smooth. With a manual SVX the ECU does not get this signal, so this communication pattern is not a problem.

However, a problem you will have to overcome is the detente on starting. The engine will not start unless it gets a signal the gearbox is in Neutral or Park. You will have to fool the ECU into "thinking" the auto box is in Neutral.

SFAIK there are possibly two ways to achieve this. The guy putting in your box will probably know how to wire this.

Joe

There is a difference in using the Park or Neutral, for starting the engine. Hopefully Phil will find this, but the engine does a different start up routine when started in P than when started in N. Just my guess.

The other point on the DCCD, is that the original Australian TCU can be set to do the normal control over the center diff in the 6 speed the same as it does in the 4eat with VTD.

Harvey.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.