View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 08:52 AM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369
I doubt you've damaged it, if that all that is been driven.

Could even be a Transfer clutch basket issue...
But if the Tranny came out of a Legacy Outback it'll be a 4.44, I'm pretty sure.
The problem is, I don't know for sure what car the tranny came out of. According to the yard it was a 1996 Legacy Outback w/ a 2.5L motor. But according to the dealer and car-part.com the ABA tranny came on the 2.2L Legacy in 1996. Hell, for all I know I've got the tranny out of an Impreza. All I really know is that the sticker on the bell housing ends in ABA.

I'm talking to the guy that's been doing most of the work on the car about finding out for sure what the ratio is on that tranny. The problem is, I think the only way to check is to pull the axle and the stub axle, and peak inside to count teeth on the diff, which is a huge PITA, because we'll have to pre-load the bearings and crap in there when we put it back together. The guy works at a dealership, so he's got a lift and great tools and the like, and he's super cool about doing work after-hours for beer and a burger, but that job isn't a quick or easy one, so I'll have to pay for labor on it unless there's some other way of checking the ratio. Any ideas?