View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 01:52 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Yes, I understand all that. But it is very helpful to have it put that clearly.

As you know, measuring the input/ output temps would be pretty tough, so I'll skip that for now, although it would be the most scientific.

Regarding the fan- yes only one at this point. The new radiator was thicker, so stock fans wouldn't fit. I bought a low profile larger diameter fan, which should be clsoe to matching the airflow (sort of).

I've actually made a little progress, so my problem has changed a bit.

I took it out for some highway driving today. The temp was flirting with danger, and I was heading home, when suddenly it dropped pretty quickly. As long as I stayed at highway speed, I was able to keep the temp in the mid range. So, I'm thinking I had a stuck thermostat, or a blockage which blew through.

I'm still dealing with climbing temps at low speed. Pretty sure this would indicate a fan issue. I'll be looking at air flow, fan cfm's, etc, but the SVX issue I need a little help with is the wiring. Anyone know how those 2 original fans were supposed to work? I found 4 wires on each, 3 relays on each, and one fan called primary, and one called secondary. Obviously, one of the wires on each fan is a ground, but why 3 other conducters?

I'm thinking at least one of the original fans should be thermostatically controlled to stay on even after the key is turned off until the engine temp drops. This is what I want, but all the hot lines turn off with the key. If I leave the key in the "on" position, the fan runs until the engine cools and then shuts off. Can I get it to do this with the key "off"?

Additionally, can I get the fan thermostat to kick on at a lower temp?

Thanks for your help.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC