Thread: Dohc...
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 11:04 PM
nextcubepro

Dohc...

For Automobile's "Tech Talk" in a special issue:

<<DOHC: Camshafts are responsible for opening an engine's valves. Engineeers have stuck them all over the place, but the current concensus is that using two for each bank of cylinders and mounting the camshafts atop the cylinder heads is the best arrangement, hense the term "DUAL OVERHEAD CAMSHAFTS".>>

Our SVXs have quad overhead cams, right? It says "4 cam" on the engine cover. So, doen't that mean that there's two for each cylinder bank, like most cars, and like most cars also, there's two cylinder banks, so...shouldn't this term be called QOHC for quad overhead cams?

<<VARIABLE VALVE TIMING: To make engines cleaner and more efficient than walking, car companies have turned every stone seeking performance gains. A recent method is to alter how and when the valves open versus engine speed and load. Variable valve timing is a very effictive method of increasing top end power while maintaining low end smoothness and response>>

Our SVXs have IRIS (Intake Resonance Induction System) that is supposed to do the same thing as VVT, right? I'm pretty sure this is true, because with my BlitZe intake, when i'm accelerating and I hit past 4k RPM, the engine rips open, pulls harder, and you can hear the wooshing of the air going through the cone filter. So, is IRIS basically the same as VVT and VTEC?

Thanks for the info