Thread: Power Supply
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2001, 08:54 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: 8.45 amps !!

Most 300W PS have between a 12A and 15A rating on the +12V, so it *should* be sufficient.

The problem is, most power supplies that come with cases on the market, and most power supplies from not-so-reputable manufacturers are overrated. It's a pretty common (and shady) practice to have a manufactuer slap on a 300W rating on a 230W or 250W power supply.

So if you decide to get a CrapUSA (as you would put it), just be careful of what you are buying.

Or, someone chip in $20, I'll cover the rest, and I can get you a Enermax power supply, 350W, with dual fans (yes, more fans, that's what you need!). Or $40 for the 431W model.

Full specs at http://www.enermax.com.tw/products/switch-main.htm

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
Well, its not just the drives. You see there is 4 7200 rpm Barracuda 1/2 height drives in the machine. They run so hot that I have them each in 5.25" bays with drive fans. Then you have the draw of a full size RAID controller with 32 megs memory, 256 megs of ECC system ram, and TWO slot 1 Pentium 3 CPUs. I think the biggest draw is the HDs and all the fans. There is two in each drive bay (in two bays), two on each CPU, and one each on the front and back of the machine. Thats 10 fans! I put my Fluke meter on the 12 volt side and checked for amp draw. 8.45 full time draw and 10.8 peak for start-up. Good thing I have the drives set to stagger spin up. Honestly I have too much hardware in too small of a case and I should replace the older 1/5 height drives with low profile ones that run cooler. Eventually I hope to just buy a 2U rack mount machine and move the SVX board over to a new machine.

So you see, I am running about 80+ percent of a 300 watt. I am thinking that high load and slightly high temperatures killed the last one. I am hoping that a 400 watt will run cooler and with less than 80 percent load, last longer.
Thanks for the offer vkykam!

Chris
(SVX Admin)