View Single Post
Old 02-03-2003, 08:29 PM
cjoffe

WooHoo!!!!

Well, I finally got it done!!!! It sounds great!

David's harness mated to the Scosche SU03R Reverse Harness works perfectly. Just use the "Dimmer" wire instead of the "Illumination" wire and you're golden. Even the colors match up perfectly.

BEWARE... The changer appears to be 1/4" longer than the opening is deep. There are 2 dash-support braces back there and the left one is the problem. I reached in with tin-snips and snipped it at the top and used pliers to bend the protruding flange back and out of the way. This leads to a perfect fit! Just make sure to take up the wire bundle and bend it off to the right side from underneath while sliding the cage back in. Otherwise you'll crush the wires against the newly bent/sharp metal and short it.... Don't ask...

There is also a plastic clip that must (I think) be removed or broken off. It is meant to clip to the back of the cage, but the back of the cage has to be clipped off anyway(tin snips again).

Once back together it sounds MUCH better than the old unit and looks like it belongs there. Considering what the WRX changers can be had for, it's a heck of a bargain.

If anyone needs further details, I spent 3 days cursing this and made every blunder I could think of, so don't hesitate to ask.

CJ