View Single Post
Old 05-04-2024, 01:22 AM

Re: Water pump replacements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
All EU Spec SVX have the oil cooler, its one of the measures to get them Autobahn ready. Another one are the vented brake discs on the rear which -big surprise- arent available anymore, just like the water pumps.

Basicly the go to is that you only change the SVX waterpump if you absolutely have to and you always look for a company that restores the old one.

Another option was to get a foreign water pump (usually US as its cheapest to order from them) and have a company weld on the missing inlet.

But afaik original water pumps are out of stock completely and cant be ordered anywhere anymore. The gmb waterpumps might be a good replacement but I hope some americans can give some information on them. The GMB head gasket and timing belt stuff is usually pretty good.
Hello, I understand the reason for the third outlet. Thanks.

And, I agree with quality of GMB. I used GMB WP for old SUBARUs (not SVX) and no problem for now.

By the way, the oil cooler transfers the heat from the engine oil to the coolant. The water temperature in SVX tends to rise to begin with, but I feel like this will accelerate it. Does the EU specification SVX also have a upgraded radiator?

The water thermometer in the meter cluster has hysteresis, so you cannot see changes in temperature within the normal range. If you look at the SSM, you can clearly see that the water temperature is rising quickly.

BTW, for the 3rd outlet for oil-cooler, wouldn't it be safer to add an outlet with a T-joint? I am reluctant to modify WP.