View Single Post
Old 04-28-2024, 10:40 PM

Re: STi Brembos: Completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by irox View Post
Awesome! Great job. Thanks for the write up.

Would a slightly larger diameter rotor help solver the brake pad over hang?
If so, what diameter would be best?

I wonder if we could get them custom made, or if there is another rotor would could be turned down to fit.
The possibility of getting custom rotors made is probably a tall order for such a small market. The logistics of casting and machining them would be expensive for just a few examples to be made. I believe the ideal dimension to use the Brembo 4 piston calipers is 350mm x 30mm, but no such rotor exists on the market that also meets all of the other criteria (hub bore diameter, overall height, etc.) as of 2024. However, there are two-piece rotors that would work if there were a suitable hat to attach them to.

Brembo actually makes their technical drawings of every rotor they sell available on the open web, so figuring out the dimensions you'd need to make it work would (hypothetically) be as simple as designing the hat to match the dimensions of the STi rotor and adding the attachment points for a friction surface of suitable diameter and thickness.

The trouble is that the cost to do this would be almost as much as I paid for everything to put this together from the sources I used. For that, I'm more than OK with a couple millimeters of pad overhang.

Quote:
It is great that there is a bigger brake option for the SVX that works with 18" wheels. I remember a company selling a big brake kit for the SVX but it required 19" wheels, which in my eyes seems hard to make work with the SVX.
It really depends on the design of the wheel itself. Method makes a set of 16" wheels that they explicitly state clear the 4 piston Brembos on an STi, but I can guarantee that there are still people out there that would tell you that you can't run smaller than a 17" wheel. You just have to make sure the radius of the wheel barrel is larger than the radius of the caliper relative to the centerline of the axle.

Quote:
Also, do you have any pictures of your whole car? I really like that paint color.
Picture attached. The color is not original to the car, unfortunately. I don't know which of the previous owners had it repainted, but if I had to guess, it was the one before me. The chronology of this car that I was able to piece together is that it was a mono black car until at least 2006. It certainly wasn't a bad color choice. Silver/black over dove grey was pretty striking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231028_120044.jpg (528.3 KB, 97 views)