View Single Post
Old 03-18-2024, 08:03 PM

Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimulusMistake View Post
Well, looks like a second power steering leak has sprung in my already failing power steering system. I could barely see in the pitch black last night but it looked like smoke and cooked ATF goo surrounding one of the fittings on the front passenger side where the P.S. lines meet w/ the radiator.

Things have been pretty grim as of late. Due to the return of my chronic illness and subsequent 0 cash flow I've been stuck daily driving the SVX since the summer despite it having at least one blown PS pump seal, a seemingly endless parasitic drain problem, and the dreaded VSS issue with no Speedometer/odo + CEL. Combine that with the massive panel rust holes from when I removed the lower door trim with plans to weld in a repair before my health started nosediving and the loss of my daily driver and I feel like I'm slowly killing the old girl despite how defiant of death it's clearly been for years of previous owner abuse. I rarely can go out these days so she maybe sees 5 miles of use a week, but I wish I could park her and do things right.

If anyone here is in the Pittsburgh area, I'm desperate enough to plea for a hand and fortunate to have a driveway and a half useable garage.

If there is a PSF leak, the first thing to suspect is a deteriorated O-ring between the PS pump and the tank above it. This is most likely if the entire PS pump is wet with fluid. It's a relatively easy fix.

Next, Next, if only the area around the shaft and pulley is wet, the oil seal may be damaged. The rebuild kit has been discontinued. But fortunately, so a general-purpose oil seal will be useful for overhauling.

I have overhauled the pump twice. Used pumps are hard to come by, so never throw them away. In many cases it is rebuildable. I'm looking for a spare pump just in case, but I can't find one. The vane and shaft have been discontinued and are no longer available.

Power steering hoses were still available a few years ago.

Good Luck.