View Single Post
Old 07-12-2023, 12:28 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile The baton has been passed

In Feburrrry of 2001, I'd had my '92 funny-window car for about a month. Prior to ownership, I'd been following the old Yahoo SVX site, & despite all the horrific tales of exploding trannys, & screaming wheel bearings, I just had to have one. So, on this cold, rainy day while wallking across a shopping center parking lot, I spied another SVX, a white.....I mean pearlie one. I had a few SVX Club? cards, from where I don't remember, so I put one under the pearlie's wiper, & went shopping, where I also don't remember.

Upon returning to the car I see a guy fiddling with MY wiper, & golly - he was putting a card under MY wiper. Not exactly a surprise that this interaction led to some conversation. I seems that this guy really knew his SVX lore. Things like, "Did you know that only 14,xxx SVXes (en?) were sold in 5 years, of which 3xxx were black, 2,xxx were "pearl"......Well, maybe paint wasn't the exact topic of minutia, but the point was he obviously had a PhD in Subarology. Would you be surprised if this guy's name was John Hoffman? Of course not. Well, it was. Turned out we lived only about a mile apart. He told me about the "new" Subaru-SVX.net site, & it seems I've been a captive ever since.

So, 3,700+ posts later I've seen the traffic gradually die down, with some folks migrating to the Facebook product. But, I always liked the addressable topic ability in here, & stuck around. And, where else could I pawn off the fine line of automotive products from Ripimoff Industries? "Products GUARANTEED for the life of the product".

The on-line banter, comradery of Reading meets, & friendships made possible by ownership of Fuji's ill-timed halo car, have been truly a blessing for me. But, as this life thing keeps moving forward, I realize immortality has only a "Ripimoff" guarantee. I'm relatively healthy for old analog fart, but the toys gathered as a middle-aged respite, sooner or later should be passed on, lest both the toys & the owners become Barn Finds. So, the semi-pristine bla...ebony mica beast has been adopted by long time SVX.net member, & dedicated SVX junky, Sean 486. And, I see at almost the same moment our SVX encyclopedia, John, will no doubt tearfully be parting with the truly pristine polo. I hope it will also go to a caring new owner............................
Let the next new regime of SVX addicts begin.

Special thanks to Chris for keeping the site alive, sometimes only through life-supportive efforts.

Also, thanks to Randy the YE**OW car lover, Larry three-eyes, & the bootiful naviguesser, Old Tom, Young Tom, Huck, Marisa, Diane, Mike, Olu, Harry, Trevor (the oldest Kiwi fart), the late great Earl, & anyone else I've forgotten due to excessive consumption of fine boxed vino.

Bonus: Who remembers Jester, Eddycat, Wawasat, & Beav?

Take care all, & remember, shiny side up. Ron

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.