View Single Post
Old 07-15-2021, 04:18 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Re: ABS sensor diagnostic - Output voltage too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Discount the voltage reading indicated by the scope as this is a peak i.e. maximum reading at the peak of the sign waves. Whereas a reading taken by a meter should be an RMS figure, i.e. what is an accepted average figure. AC voltage measurement involves complex complications to deep to cover here.

You are absolutely spot on with your method of comparing one side with the other, i.e. good with bad. Stick with this rather than working with specific voltage figures and stay with this method of fault finding when considering the mechanical aspects of sensor spacing etc.

Clearly, you are following a very good nose and will get there. LOL
Thanks Trevor, this is great information. The only multimeter I have here is a Harbor Freight special with a terrible refresh rate, but I will put it on there anyway and see what happens. I was not looking forward to trying to remove ABS sensors without destroying them in the process.

Since the front ABS sensors seem to be acting approximately the same and both seem to be working normally (assuming proper RMS voltage output), I think i will swap out the ABS computer under the passenger seat just to rule that out. The light blinks out codes like it's supposed to, but I've found a few failed electronic bits in this car so far (I think it had a lot of moisture in it while sitting) and it costs me nothing except some time to do so. So far the seatbelt computer, OEM stereo, and climate control module have all crapped out in some fashion (and the aftermarket alarm box in there is suspect) so yet another partially failed interior module would not be without precedent here. Will report back with any findings.