View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 02:50 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Climate control / HVAC dead, stuck on full defrost

Hi all, sick of me yet?

Yet another issue with my poor '92 that I can't seem to find an answer on.

The climate control / HVAC was working fine when I powered it up late last summer (after sitting for over 11 years) - everything lit up properly, buttons worked, the system responded properly to button presses, etc. A/C blew warm, but the blower motor functions / vent selector worked, at least. It worked fine up until yesterday.

Yesterday, when I went to move the car so I could do brakes on my van, the climate control all of a sudden went nuts and started blowing air full speed from the windshield vents. The first time this happened, there were a few lights on on some of the buttons (no response to buttons), but the temp display was dark. Now, the climate control unit is completely dead, with no lights on anywhere, and the system seems to be stuck on full-speed defrost.

Video: https://youtu.be/nXv3yfe1Sew

Anyone know where to start troubleshooting this? Or am i going to be pulling the HVAC unit from my parts car?

I know there is a known issue with the more sophisticated unit used across the pond, but can't seem to turn up much as far as known issues with the US HVAC controller.

Thanks in advance for any help!