View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 01:35 AM

Re: Sleeve Lock Regulator Replacement with PHOTOS

Hi Ewie,

I designed the replacement part and I'm also very interested in any stories about longevity/reliability.

So far there has been no reports of them breaking. The big advantage with the Shapeways version is that it is nylon (same as the factory version). The PLA plastic ones (very common for 3D printers, and what I use when printing test versions) don't hold up in the long term. ABS might be a better option than PLA, but I don't have that much experience with it (it stinks when you print it, so I stay away from it), but nylon has better properties for an application like this than either PLA or ABS. The Shapeways quality is really good, much better than most hobbyists (including myself) are able to print at home.

I would really appreciate any information on failed parts, would you be able to take some pictures of the failed part(s) and share them with me? It would really help to have some data on how they are failing, and how future versions could be made to last longer.

Really sorry about the shipping costs, I wish Shapeways would just open a branch in each country and eliminate international shipping costs.

I do have a couple of nylon ones from shapeways I could try to mail to you. But geez a quick check online shows crazy shipping prices to New Zealand (like $65 is the cheapest!). The USPS has a VHS box (yes, for a video tape) rate for $39.60 (delivery time: 6 - 10 business days), and USPS also has First-Class Package International which might be $20 (delivery time: eventually, maybe - I guess this might be on boat with many stops). But there is also a pandemic on and I don't really want to stand in line at the post office.... maybe there is a drop off or non-standing-in-line-with-other-people way I can look into.

Cheers,
Ian.