View Single Post
Old 07-23-2020, 04:55 PM

Re: Retro-fitting a CAN bus to a pre-OBD2 SVX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irox View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but which stand-alone-ECU are you thinking off? (Like Ecotune? Or are there others? Something standard?)

This still leaves me with the same problem, I then have to write a driver to talk to it. Also, I've no problems with the stock ECU, and it's fairly easy to get data from it. Also, I hope to publish a how-to for doing this for others to follow and keeping the stock ECU would help keep the price down.

Thanks!
Ian.
Any of the major names make good ECUs, Halltech, ECUmasters, Motune, etc. Most of the new ones have electronics that will display anything and everything you could ever want. You would not have to "wire a driver to talk to it" because they have full outputs and some even offer full digital dash replacements. You replace the ECU with something modern that does everything you want and also allows you to tune the engine properly, opening the door for future mods, more power, and an overall better running motor. All you have to do is wire the ECU in and make a tune for it, or have a tuner make a tune for it. Do your research first and choose something that will do everything you want and also make sure the ECU you choose is something that your preferred tuner shop is comfortable tuning on, unless you can tune the engine yourself.