View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 01:21 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Possible alternator or wiper or connection issue

When I got into my very cold car (5F) in the morning, the wipers didn't work, at first. As the car warmed up I could get the intermittent setting to work but not slow or fast. As it warmed up more it started to work normally, sort of. I noticed that engine RPM had an impact. I also noticed that whenever I push the wiper fluid button, the wipers ALWAYS start immediately. To me, this sounds like an issue with the wiper controller but it could still be a an alternator or connection problem.

The battery is only a year old but when I left it at the mechanic for 2 weeks to get the wheel bearing and coil pack done while I was on vacation, the battery got too weak to start the car. Was it the 2 weeks in the cold or was it just not charged enough due to an issue, who knows?

I connected my PC to the SSM and monitored the ECU voltage on my 20 minute drive this morning. When cold, and nothing on, the voltage was 13.9-14.0V. When I started driving I turned on the rear defroster and I saw that the voltage stayed between 13.8 and 14.0V on the whole drive. When I stopped the voltage was still between 13.7V and 13.8V at idle. The defroster was off at this point. I turned on the headlights and the voltage dropped to about 12.5V. I turned the defroster back on and the voltage dropped to 11.9V.

Do these voltages seem reasonable? I checked the battery terminals and they seemed pretty clean and tight.

If it is the alternator, has anyone tried the alternator below for an extended period of time an/or miles?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XUI7D2...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (103.6 KB, 249 views)

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything