View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 07:39 AM
Hater

Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal1200r View Post
Flystyle - I'm in Newport News...

Landshark - I've only had one physics class in my life, and that was back in high school. So pulling on this thread a little bit more, I have another question / observation, and it has to do with those CAI setups that are way down in the engine compartment or inner fender.

I get that the air going into the intake is part of the suck - squish - bang - blow operation of a 4-stroke engine like ours. So since our engines do not have forced induction, that means the TB is sucking in air, yes? Now isn't there some kind of law in physics that has to do with pressure and distance, or volume and distance, or some combination of the three? What I'm getting at is if the stock airbox is, say, X feet away from the TB, flowing Y cfm, then you install a CAI setup that now moves the air inlet 2X feet away, doesn't that make the TB work harder to get the same amount of cfm, or the TB works the same but will draw in less cfm, since it's not forced? I'm thinking like sucking air in thru a straw. If you make the straw longer, it takes more effort to draw in the same amount of air, or if you use the same amount of effort, you'll draw in less air. Does any of that make sense?! You can see why I wasn't a STEM major in college!

So what I'm thinking of doing is installing the Uni foam filter I have on order so that the neck is right at the opening in the fender well, with the filter body inside the fender, then running a short pipe with coupler up to the MAF adapter. This should keep the distance the same, but allow cooler air to be drawn into the TB thru a filter that has a much larger surface area than the tiny inlet to the stock airbox. Somewhat logical, or did I pick the wrong week to stop sniffing glue?!
i'm too long removed from physics, thermodynamics, and engineering classes, so i ain't going there.

i don't remember - the SVX has the airbox drawing air from the fender well area? it already is a "CAI". many cars have the airboxes drawing air from the high pressure area in front of the radiator.

again, unless you are adding giant turbos, you aren't gaining anything over the factory airbox. you'll get "whooshing" sounds, though.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)