View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 AM
Hater

Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal1200r View Post
I've heard stories of the infamous "hot air intake", so where's the scientific evidence to support this story? I know, I know, common sense should tell someone that removing the airbox, which has a teeny tiny air inlet from the fender, and replacing it with a filter that's attached on the end of the MAF sensor will draw in much warmer air. Well, there's common sense, and there's scientific evidence. Has anyone actually measured the temp difference at the MAF sensor between the stock airbox setup and any kind of short intake setup while the car is in motion?

most *cold air intakes* don't add any power as it is, especially on normally aspirated engines. Cobb Tuning doesn't even recommend a CAI on a *turbocharged* Evo until after Stage 1 or so - its not necessary. the SVX's factory airbox will likely flow more air than the engine can handle (why would the design engineers make the factory airbox a bottleneck?)

why require scientific evidence when common sense will do? sucking in hot air from next to the hot engine will give less power than from an insulated plastic factory airbox housing.

if its a K&N-style oiled filter, that's another debate - dyno tests show them with no gain, or losing power (depending on the car). they will not filter as well, letting fine particles into the engine, and if over-oiled, can foul your MAF sensor.

pros:
- looks cool when your hood is open
- cool noises
- reuseable filter
cons:
- power loss
- less filtering
- possible MAF fouling

your car, your choice.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)