View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 04:13 AM

Stock radio or keep after market

Greetings,
I pickup a perfectly functioning original SVX stereo/CD. I bought the car back in March 2016 (1996 LSi). I just like everything original.Currently it has an older Kenwood deck with amp and multi-CD changer in the truck. Well installed. I would like to put the original back in (has hidden cover attached, perfect shape). Would it be stupid to put the original back in? I realize the wiring might be a mess with the after market install. But seriously considering putting the original back in. Also, since I had it, rear speakers do not work. Is it a pain , and do you need special tools to install the original back in? I do know I have to find some kind of shim/removal tools for the Kenwood thats already in there? Was thinking about having Car Toys do it. Not sure they could do it, or might charge a ridiculous price. When I brought the original stereo in, they said it was dead. They used the wrong wire to test power, Then I tested it with their equipment and it fired right up with all lights functioning and controls. The change in wiring and different harnesses (may not have not removed) makes me hesitant.
What do you guys think? I do prefer the original, looks so much better.
Thanks.