View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 08:43 AM

Re: Leaks - big pink puddle - suspect power steering

I fixed the power steering hose leak and that seems to have cut down on the smoking a little bit. Unfortunately there is still ATF accumulating at the bottom of the front diff and running back along the tranny pan.

I was thinking I still had a tranny leak until I pulled out of the driveway this morning and heard my power steering motor making a lot of noise. I pulled back in and added a ton of ATF to the reservoir and (of course) the noise went away immediately. I had topped off the reservoir after fixing the hose on Saturday, and actually didn't test drive the car since it was a simple hose replacement (and the leaky hose was very obvious). So this was not quite 48 hours later and my PS reservoir was VERY low.

That's when a little 3 watt light bulb lit up over my empty head... leaking PS rack! The rack is right there at the front diff. If it's hemorrhaging ATF all over the place it could easily be running down the surface of the diff, and get blown backward over the tranny pan.

So now I may need to get my steering rack checked out/repaired!

OMG - THIS CARRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

I'm about to give up and buy something less temperamental and less prone to leaks - like a Yugo.

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by Austin; 07-25-2016 at 08:51 AM.