Thread: Where is Nate?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 04:30 PM
soup IS good food

Registered SVX
Re: Where is Nate?

I actually saw that link a while ago. Someone posted it in one of the Facebook groups. I was content to overlook it and give the guy the benefit of the doubt. If it was Nate (age and locale seems right bvut that might be a common name up there), he was 21 at the time and people can make mistakes, especially when young. I was even willing to overlook the sloppy work putting the car back together and the 18 month time frame.

What I couldn't get past was the disconnect between him telling me "your engine is back out and at the machine shop," and the car showing up 10 months later with a different engine. Especially with the noises the new engine makes. I even gave Nate the opportunity to speak with my mechanic to determine whether there was something that my mechanic was misinterpreting with the engine noises. The only response I got was that he was not going to warranty his work because I hadn't paid in full. "Warranty his work?" I am not sure wanting a resolution for a car that shows up in worse condition than I gave it to him in falls into the realm of a warranty.

Nate did offer a '97 engine out of a car that he has that has a "recent" headgasket job. I was hesitant to take him up on that offer because after the issues previously mentioned I wasn't sure I could trust him regarding the history of the engine and would be out another $1000 if I had someone swap this engine in and it turned out to be bad. I obviously am not going to allow Nate to do the swap. It doesn't really matter because, after making the offer, Nate hasn't responded to a single email - I've sent 2 or 3- and has unfriended me on facebook so his offer seems to have disappeared.

If I am in the wrong here, somebody please point out where. I think I have been more than fair and accommodating. I have a car that I have driven two days in the past two years, I've paid more in insurance and other incidentals than the original head gasket repair should have cost (including the reseal kit and a $1500 prepayment to Nate so he wouldn't have to lay out money for parts). My mechanic tells me that even when I get it running, I'd better not drive it out of my AAA towing range because the engine could die at any time. I don't want to sue the guy, but it really seems to be the only option I have left. Also, as I mentioned, I wasn't going to bring it up here or on Facebook. I wanted to give him the opportunity to make good. Since he mentioned my name I felt it necessary to respond along with supporting other who have had negative interactions with him.

I am still willing to allow him to make good but I need to hear from him, so if anyone who is friends with him, please let me know. I have a letter prepared and will be sending off to him within a few days. It would have gone out a few weeks ago, but I held it up when he made the engine offer.

I apologize for ranting. I really liked my car. I drove it nearly 100,000 miles in the first two years that I owned it. I though I was doing the right thing by giving the job to Nate and agreeing to his prices without hesitation. It seemed to support allowing him to make a living doing what he wanted to do. I even paid his full asking price for a beat up 1993 (as well as his asking price on parts to keep it on the road) that I intended to use for a couple of months while he worked on my 1997. [I'll stop ranting now]

Andrew
'89 XT6
'08 Impreza
'18 Crosstrek

Totaled
'98 LGT ~180K
'97 OBW ~185k
'93 SVX Less Reddish

Sold
'89 XT6
'04 VDC Sedan

Parts