View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: front differential setup how to and re-rebuild of genuine Subaru Remanufactured 4

Now it's time to check our contact pattern. So we unbolt the pump from the case and paint some gear matching compound onto the teeth of the pinion. The ring gear is still clean at this point.

Then we bolt the pump back to the case and give the pinion a few turns forward and a few turns backwards. Then take the pump back off to see what we have. The contact pattern on the ring gear is much better. We've moved well in from the face edge towards the center of the teeth leaving matching compound on the face edges. It's offset to the toe side now and under load will move towards the middle without making it all the way to the heel. Between removing the high spots on the mating surfaces and decreasing the backlash we've gotten to a much better place. I think I can still improve the pattern on the pinion. I'd like to move it in more in both directions and make it as big as possible.

To move the pattern from the toe side of the ring to the center (when the carrier's left to right position is set right) we want to reduce the thickness of the pinion shim/shims. Time to remove the seal retainer from the pinion/pump and then the pinion itself to pull out the existing shims and see what we have. In this case we have two shims which I measure with a micrometer. I get a measurement between in inches between the .15mm and .175mm which is the closest thicknesses they come in--so we have a dirty pair of .15mm shims. I was going to replace them with a single .2mm shim but it was rusty so I went with a .225mm shim.

Last edited by longassname; 10-10-2015 at 09:11 PM.