View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 03:56 PM

Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Addendum...noticed the steering had that "sorta didn't want to turn" feel and checked camber/toe..Camber still at my -1.5 where as I now had a bit over 2/32" of negative toe. Quick fix and steering nice and neutral. Would suggest the new axle is not perfectly perpendicular to the spindle/hub assembly either secondary design of car or tolerances of new CV joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteract7 View Post
Just a heads up to say the $68.00/pair front axles on Amazon (+ S/H) worked great, thus far. They seemed a bit short when compared to the old OEM axles but when I pushed the old CV's together they were identical. The new roll pin has a chamfered end, BTW, which goes in first, but no chamfered holes on the diff side. There is a chamfered hole on the stub axle so that should be the "down side" with the correct roll pin going in. The grooves on the new axle had the identical one hole with groove going down its middle and other hole with 2 grooves straddling the hole so it lined up perfectly first try.

The new roll pin insertion technique I used was to take a punch, insert a 3/4" piece of hose over the end and insert the roll pin..I actually had to slip a smaller diameter hose piece on the pin which I then put in the larger diameter hose on the punch. The rest was the usual..32mm axle nut after removing the dust cap, tie rod end (I didn't put the other wheel off the ground plus with the tie rod off, you get more slack/movement with the spindle, strut side of sway bar link, lower ball joint, ABS/brake line strut holders. Brakes left on.. Let the lower ball joint stud go to the front side of the spindle, turn spindle as in rt. hand turn for ease of axle removal, and reinstall. Remove roll pin from non-chamfered side. I put a dab of silicone on the new pin sides to keep out corrosion but doubt I'll have to mess with new axles for a while.

I tried putting axle first in diff side and then first in spindle side..putting the axle in the diff side went more smoothly. Could turn axle more easily to line up holes plus, if spindle side went in first, it kept popping out anyway as I maneuvered the diff. side.