View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 09:49 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

We tired the "upgrade" option at Quality Power Here is the FB summary of our process. Upgrade is 170$.

"Looks like we are going to bite the bullet and ship a spare SVX alternator out to Quality Power for upgrade to 140+amps and general R&R. We will keep you informed how the process goes. Waiting for them to PayPal invoice us now. Hope to ship it out tomorrow or Wednesday.

UPSed it out Friday by slow boat to save a $ or two. Got all types of pre-work photos to hope to tell what gets removed and cleaned up. Scribed a mark on one ear to verify we get ours back. Payment is to be posted to them upon work completion.
December 14, 2014 at 2:12pm

12/19/14 Quality Power reports alternator R&R and upgrade to 140 amps complete. Very fast turnaround. Expect to have it back in hand by New Years day. I will check for tool marks and other evidence of work and post the info here.
December 19, 2014 at 1:45pm

Inquiry to Quality power reports that; on the bench; our alternator "maxed out at 152 amp and provided 110 amp at an 800 RPM idle."

Got it back today. No proof of upgrade except for receipt. Not sure how much is our old one, maybe the windings. Case appears new, not just dipped or cleaned. Marks we applied are not present. Same for pulley and nut but not the shaft. I expect this is more of a swap (with$$) than an actual R&R of the one we shipped out. Not a complaint, just an observation and a bit of info for anyone else who wants to do this. Product LOOKS super. Installation will happen in the late spring.
December 29, 2014 at 2:04pm "

Last edited by gwynethh; 01-05-2015 at 05:38 PM. Reason: more info.