View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 02:35 AM

Re: Electrical or Transmission induced TCU codes??

LubeGard Platinum is available at Canadian Tire..

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/lu...l#.VEiyliLF9Zg

If they don'y have it in stock at your location, they will order it for you. If they don't have any in stock, ask at the service counter if they have any. They may have a few on hand for the shop that don't show up in inventory. Gee, That says something, doesn't it?

Mine hasn't done it again since I mentioned it. I think she was just a bit pissed that I let her secret out LOL.. We shall see what happens and go from there. I checked to make sure “power mode” was functioning correctly, and it was. Then I engaged warp drive, and it shifted like a champ, and it hasn't glitched since.

There were a couple of other subtle changes from adding the LubeGard.. I used to get a “mystery bump” occasionally when stopped when the trans wasn't yet fully warmed up. It felt like a pedestrian had walked into the back of the the car... That has stopped. The first to second shift was abrupt, I've read that that was common after a rebuild, due to a difference in friction material used. That has abated, the shifts are now crisp, but not harsh. Probably the effects of the friction modifiers and seal conditioners in the product, or just dumb luck.

@ SVX95.. Thanks for the explanation of the QC only functioning in “drive” .. I'd written that off as being an idiosyncrasy of aged electronics. The TCU and the ECU decide between them whats what with drive train management. I was just surprised that the engine was pulled back at a shift point where thee wasn't a shift occurring.. Also, as I've had a long term issue with the torque converter not holding lock up with the cruise on, I didn't know where to put the blame for that one. The cruise control changes the shift parameters of the trans, but shouldn't act like that. As no other QC users have had that issue, I'll just write that off as aging electronics having a small hissy fit. If I get ambitious, I'll look up which wire sends the “cruise is on” signal to the TCU, and just clip it.

When you say you aren't getting the codes consistently, ( as in code 11 ), Hmmm.. if I recall correctly, the codes fall out of current retrieval if the issue doesn't replicate for three or four starts. If you're using a code reader, they'll show as stored or previous, but, it you're counting the flashes on the ATF light on the dash, it's a different sequence of shifter positions and manual button clicks to retrieve previous codes. as opposed to current ( within the last few starts). The retrieval process for the two different retrieval methods is a PITA, but will only tell you if the issue is a few starts behind you.