View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 09:47 PM

Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

A couple of weeks ago, I stopped by the Subaru Dealership, to make sure ther had rear bearings and seals in stock, as I was pretty sure that that was where the "new noise" was coming from. I asked if they were usually replaced as a pair, and was told it wasn't necessary, just put it up in the air and see if it was one side or both. I stop and grab 2 jugs of full synthetic, and head to my mechanic. As they were a bit slow, I asked if they could do an oil change while it was up in the air checking the bearings.

It was about ten seconds in the air to determine that new bearings were needed on both sides.. Oh well, order them in and do it when they get in. The head mechanic starts draining the oil, or so he thought... I look around a bit under the car, as I usually do when it's up in the air. Damn! Split front CV joint. Double damn.. The other side too. Well what can you do? I tell the owner to order them too and do it all at the same time, and hand him the "how to" bearing change instructions and remind him to order premium grease to re-pack the bearings with.

I go back into the shop area and the mechanic asks me how often I check the oil. I tell him the truth, never. He looks a bit concerned, and tell me that not that much came out of it, and that maybe I should keep an eye on the level. He then proceeds to dump in the first jug of oil, starts it up for a second, and then checks the level. It should be 2 quarts short, it's way over filled, and dirty. WTF?

Long story short? He drained the front diff by mistake. His new nick name is "the apprentice" I got a free engine flush, a free front diff flush, but the bearings and a set of CV boots cost me $820.00, all in, and two boxes of Krispy Kreme.