View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 10:35 AM

Powder coating SVX rims ( how hard can it be?)

So.. There are a few expressions that have made my life.... shall we say, interesting.

They are:

"What's the worst that could happen!"

" How much could that possibly cost? "

" This shouldn't take that long!"

" It can't be that hard!"

So in my infinite wisdom, I decided to pick the 4 worst factory rims I own ( out of 12 ), and powder coat them to match the burgundy paint on my '97. Little did I know what I was getting myself into

So, what's the first thing I'm gonna need? Something to get the old finish off the rim!

powder02.jpg

Now it would seem that Northern Tool isn't exactly "Ship to Canada" friendly, So I got pretty much the same thing at "Princess Auto" here in Canada, for about $100.00, Taxes in.

If you've never heard of or seen such a device, here's the ten cent tour:

Wet sandblasting uses the power of the water jet to accelerate the sand to increase it's abrasive ability, it keeps the working area cool, and minimizes dust. Theoretically, you just hook it up to your pressure washer, stick the pick up probe in a bag of blasting media, and rust, scale, powder coating, etc., just magically disappears with a wave of the blast wand... at least that's how they make it look on YouTube. They lied. ... Damn, did they lie!

Now let's add 3 bags of media to the shopping list. 3 fifty pound bags of ground glass, and we're out the door $60.00 lighter.

How much could this possibly cost?

So far, $160.00.

There's way more to come, but that's enough till tomorrow.

Of course, comments, questions, suggestions are more than welcome... especially suggestions..