View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 03:58 PM

Re: Overheating troubleshooting

**UPDATE**

Less than a week after having diagnosed my overheating issue as a blown head gasket, a long crack developed in the top of my radiator near the filler neck, This meant a new radiator regardless of what else needed to be done. Because of the symptoms I described and the failure of the radiator I began to suspect that the source of the problem might have been the radiator the whole time. I reasoned the crack that was now steaming had grown longer and wider over time, letting in more and more air, reducing the pressure in the system and causing the intermittent overheating (air bubbles).

I got the radiator and hoses replaced and haven't had the problem since. I've monitored my running temps and in regular driving coolant temp does not ever go over 208.4 F according to the ECU. The fans kick in at 203 F and a few seconds later it might go higher but then back down into the 190s.

I think that the fluid in the block tester kit I used may have been contaminated by some stray coolant being sucked into the tube, giving me a false reaction. To be honest the indicator fluid color changed from blue but not to bright yellow. It was a pale color change. It just goes to show that one should confirm any diagnosis that could result in a very expensive replair with more than one test.

Anyway, just in case it will help anyone needing to replace their radiator with a factory replacement, the going price from newenglandsubaruparts.com is $435. This is cheaper than subaruparts.com in Colorado, but if you're physically closer to CO, remember that suubaruparts.com has free shipping for orders over $50 so the price difference could be a wash. Since newenglandsubaruparts.com is in CT and I'm in NJ, the shipping was minimal. Also, I ordered on a Thursday, they shipped on a Friday and my order arrived Monday.

For anyone looking at the cheaper ebay radiators available from anywhere from $120-$150, the reviews are mixed to negative for durability on these. While they might be 1/3 the cost of a factory part, with stories about them lasting as little as 5000 miles it wasn't worth the risk for me.

Out of curiosity I priced the all aluminum radiator from PWR Performance. They do not keep them in stock. They have the plans and will build you one to order. Even though the company is in North Carolina the radiator will be fabricated in Australia. The radiator costs $735 and the shipping from Australia is $150. So if you want a hand made bullet-proof all aluminum radiator and you have $885 to spare, PWR will make you one. If you're building an SVX track racer with a high performance engine build, it might be worth it. If you're like me and your SVX mainly sticks to highways and byways, not so much. But now you know the price as of 2014.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help, especially Tom (a.k.a. svxfiles) for answering my phone call, talking me through the options and generously offering to connect me with various folks and sources that might help with getting the engine work done. Luckily I don't need an expensive repair at this time but it's nice to know there is that kind of support out there for SVX owners.

Jim