View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Take off the alternator and using a ratcheting wrench (if you have one) carefully pull the bolt out. If no ratcheting wrench normal will do just takes longer/harder to do. The Passenger side is easier to get, its farther forward on the engine, the drivers side one is farther back, may have to get that by removing the throttle body and reaching in from the back.
Thanks for the how-to. Sounds like the driver side is going to suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coan View Post
Funny you mention not liking the brands at Advance. I should have just ordered mine from RockAuto as well, but Autozone had them in stock so I just went with it. The Duralast oil pressure sensor that I put in is faulty and it makes me a little nervous about the Duralast knock sensor I installed. I also replaced the Duralast coolant temp sensor that I installed a year ago that I think was bad from the start. I'm done with all Duralast parts at this point.

As for replacement, follow what 92 SVX said. Remove the alternator and you'll have access from the front side. I was able to get the driver's side sensor by doing that, which is farther back and harder to get to, but I have small, skinny hands so I tend to have less issues reaching things in tight spaces than most people.
I try to keep the times when I use off the shelf brands to a minimum and like most its about $$. OEM is just crazy expensive for knock sensors but the lifetime warrenty for most of these aftermarket ones make it a little more reassuring if need be. I actually had replaced two Bosch knocks on my Legacy that never seemed to work well with an Advance brand (forgot) which has kept the CEL out for sometime now.