View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 03:55 AM

Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

3 SVX's for $NZ6000 on TradeMe ?
Way over priced.
Did you see 2 x SVX's for $NZ1500 on TradeMe ?

No, I won't be buying those either. Wife would shoot me.
Need to sell the one sitting in my shed to clear space. I was hoping to sell that and buy the 2 for $1500.

Anyway, what did I do to my SVX today ?
You'll see two posts down, that I pulled the dash apart.
This morning I did a 250km round trip to Tauranga with large sections of the dash missing. No dramas, most things worked ok.
I did discover that the indicators weren't working (nothing to do with the instrument cluster), this is caused by not connecting the double switch assembly to the left of the steering wheel which has the hazard light & rear window demister switches. Unplug this and the indicators stop working.

On my way home this evening (in the dark), a truck behind me flashed it's lights. I thought that strange, so pulled over for a road side car inspection and found my tail lights not working (100km from home, in the dark).

During the dash disassembly project I decided to swap my fuse cover from Japanese to English, but only got as far as removing the Japanese cover, leaving the English fuse cover on the floor of the garage.
I rang for help and was lucky that Ewie has nothing else to do with his evening but sit by the phone and wait for people like me to call and to patiently search for fuse cover layouts in the interwebs.

We found every single fuse we could find was intact. Even swapped out the fuse responsible for tail lights with another in case it had an invisible to the human eye crack in it, no luck.

So, possible against my better judgement and after confirming the brake lights worked I drove home. The great thing about living in New Zealand is that hardly anyone else lives here, so it's possible for drive for many miles without seeing another car.

I ducked along some rural roads to avoid the state highways (or what passes for a state highway in this part of the world, the Amuricans would probably call it a goat track) and finally arrived home safely. No injuries, damage or police infringement notices.

Arrived home and fitted the missing switch assembly (described above) which immediately solved the missing indicator problem, but still nothing from the tail lights. I'll look at that tomorrow. Good excuse to leave work early so I'm not driving home in the dark, until the weekend when I can go over this properly.

Big thanks to Ewie and thanks also to Daniel & Steve for replying to my messages for help.