View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 01:35 AM

Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Continued dash disassembly on my mission to replace the stereo and some other stuff along the way.
Today I pulled out the JDM instrument cluster and fitted a NZDM cluster to see what would happen.
It fits ok.
It's missing bulbs for 4WS and something in Japanese next to 4WS.
Also missing ABS bulb.

Tacho doesn't work at all.
Speedo seems to be accurate.

When Cruise is engaged the Eco light is lit up.

No big dramas.

Something odd though, the turn indicators didn't flash on the cluster and there was no clicking sound normally associated with the indicators flashing.

So, fitting a NZDM cluster into my JDM wasn't going to work.
I thought about disassembling the clusters and swapping the speedo over (I was trying to get a 260km speedo into my car so it looks a bit more like a NZ car.

Decided against that today (perhaps another day) and carried on with dash disassembly.

Got the air con controller out (Thanks Steve for the directions).
But can't find the repaired unit that Steve sent to me which is no good. No doubt it will show up eventually.

Managed to get the OEM stereo out, that was a mission. Eventually worked out that the left side of the cage had caught on the fabric trim and was pulling it away as I pulled the cage out. Eventually worked it out, got the cage out, glued the fabric back. I've got photos of these steps that I will post to show exactly what went wrong.

Cobbled together the adapter cable I bought from AE64 and connected up my Sony head unit, but it didn't work. By now it was getting dark, so stopped work. Will have another go next Sunday.