View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
The Revival and Revitilization of Phil Gantz aka phastsvx's former SVX

Well, as some of you already know, a few years back Phil was forced to sell his beloved turbocharged SVX. It was purchased by someone whose wife basically told him he had to sell it so he enlisted me to find a buyer. Found someone to purchase it that was relatively local and long story short, the car ended up being undriveable and at the same time I moved away to PA and was unable to repair it on return trips. Fast forward 2 years and I have picked it up where it has sat. The clutch basically will not disengage so I'm chalking it up to likely a TOB or TOB clip issue. Regardless, if I'm putting a transmission back in the car, it will be getting a 6 spd.

So, besides the STI 6 spd and R180 rear that will be going in, the long and tedious task of bringing this northern car back to proper life will be quite extensive.
Complete Southern Subframes and other main suspension pieces will be powdercoated along with Polish bushings throughout the car.
Coilovers (weighing out the options)
Complete bodywork along with stripping and completely undercoating the unibody construction while the subframes are removed. Also, all new brake and fuel lines run (maybe I'll find a non-abs master cylinder as well) I have a few special goodies I have my eye on and I am also unsure if I will refresh the carbon fiber hood and leave it unpainted (always kind of thought the c/f look was "tacky" after the initial craze of the late 90's/early 00's) or if I will have it painted to match the rest of the car.
Will be looking into brake options and weighing out costs vs improvement as well as service costs

I'm sure there will be more as it comes to mind. I originally had thought/planned when I first came to terms on a deal about transplanting everything into my clean ebony. However, I realized that going about hacking up another car for everything to fit properly seemed like a complete waste and instead have the means and parts and will just completely go through this one. As I mentioned, it will be slow as I have a million things going on. The goal is to get a bunch of stuff sold that will go towards this as well as towards home improvements. Eventually, I'd like to do an engine build and will go about that once the timeframe calls for it.