Thread: I'm Back!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: I'm Back!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by processengr View Post
Wow! Glad your ok! Hard to believe you walked away from that one! I am impressed with the S60 Volvo! What year(s) are good AWD ones in the 10-15k range?
Any of the AWD post 2004 have proven to be pretty solid. By then, they sorted out the driveshaft and angle gear (transfer case) issues. Once in awhile the spline sleeves fail which is about a $100 part from Volvo and takes about 2-3 hrs depending on the shop. Front control arm bushings go at about 125-175k miles. watch for sludge if they haven't had oil changes every 3-5k miles at most with synthetic. CEM modules are common, most noticeable culprit is one headlight going out while the bulb is still good. It houses most of the relays and circuits for everything electronic and they tend to overheat at times. Front bearings we've run across with these higher mileage cars but they're simple and bolt in. I can do them in about 20 min. Overall, well and solid built cars. Easy to work on and they don't rust away. The cheaper insurance and safety knowing everyone will be safe is a nice bonus and they do make quite a few performance models that are tuneable and very fun to drive. The C4 suspension on the R models and some higher trim s80's tend to be problematic but you can always swap in the "normal" mcpherson strut design. Very good aftermarket support as far as replacement parts as well as performance.