View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Advice Needed - Living in America

So you don't appear to be scared off by expensive houses. SERIOUSLY consider southern CA or, possibly, central CA. It is the closest thing the US has to mediteranean climate. You need an Italian cook?

One thing I forgot to mention is the benefit of living AWAY from the larger cities. Move a little more into the rural areas to save money on housing. Specifically search for rural college towns. The people are better educated, the schools are better, the economy is more stable and people appreciate good food more than what you would find in generic rural areas. Relative to the city, the housing is cheaper, the traffic is lighter, the people are nicer and crime is lower. In the state of NY, a great example of this is Ithaca. In PA, you have state college. I'm sure such places exist in central and southern CA. I just haven't personally looked to know.

NC and most of the southeastern US is probably out for you if you don't like humidity. I don't know what the humidity is like in Austin but you can easily get climate data. I do know that the central US is drier in general BUT they also have temperature extremes. It can get REALLY cold in north-central US and REALLY hot in south-central US. I have heard that it is dry and not particularly extreme in CO. I know it is dry in most of NV, AZ and NM but it can get REALLY dry and it isn't very green there at all. I like some green, personally.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything