View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Advice Needed - Living in America

Marisa has some good ideas. Here is the deal. You need to know for sure what climate you want. Do you want to avoid weather extremes like tornados, floods, hurricanes, blizzards, earthquakes, etc? Does living near the ocean matter to you? If so, do you want warm waters? Then I would ask if you have children that are school age. The correlation isn't 100% but, in general, quality of education is proportional to taxes paid. Having said that, you can find good private schools almost anywhere that is reasonably populated. You pay for good education one way or another. Then you need to look at college options for when that day comes. NY, for example, has some great school districts for k-12 but our state colleges are pretty mediocre. North Carolina, California, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Texas, Wisconsin, Connecticut, Georgia, Virginia and Illinois have some really good state colleges. And you are already aware of business taxes. Finally, look into the cost of housing. And, if you want to look really far ahead, search on states that are good to retire in.

Personally, if the cost of housing wasn't so crazy, I would live in either southern CA or Napa Valley. Aside from Hurricanes on the coast and some areas with flooding issues, NC has a lot to offer. I have heard good things about Austin, TX but I am not a big fan of heat. I have also heard nice things about Denver, CO but that is nowhere near an ocean. I love Maine but the winters are pretty cold and the schools are pretty mediocre. Don't let anyone talk you into the pacific NW. The ocean water is frigid and the weather is more gloomy than they will admit.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything