View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 02:19 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Advice Needed - Living in America

The time has come when our family started thinking seriously about leaving Lebanon for good and establishing our future somewhere else.

Don't want this thread to turn political, but with all the cr@p happening in the Middle East area, terrorists growing at an alarming rate, extremists going beyond extremism with their behavior and actions, bombs exploding randomly and in any area in Lebanon... my family (Dad, Mom, Sis, myself and my fiancee), and my uncle's (Him, Her, one married son +1, one single son) decided to chase a future either in the US or Australia.

What we are thinking of at this stage, is a preliminary visit where I would go with my uncle and test waters. If everything turns well, we will liquidate all our assets in Lebanon and purchase property in either US or Aust whichever we decide. During our first visit, we are also planning to meet with immigration lawyers to discuss all the details of our move. Everything has to be legal. Hope my dad's old green card can be of use for my family.

The business that we are looking to establish overseas is either a restaurant or gas station/garage. More likely the first. The question remains here since the US or Aust are not your typical Lebanon in terms of options. There are thousands of cities/states to live in, how someone like me should choose correctly? Key requirements:

1- Safe, clean and nice neighborhood.
2- Acceptable standards of living (housing, taxes, etc...)
3- Ability to establish a business without the government throwing much sticks in wheels for you..
4- Normal weather conditions, preferably in the southern states.

Appreciate your help guys.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.