View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 06:32 PM
M7

Registered SVX
Re: The click click is fixed, Add a start relay

Short story, Mount and wire up a starter relay (as pictured)
Simply, Connect the starter solenoid wire to #86 on the relay.
Connect fused 12V to #30 on the relay.
Connect from the negative battery terminal to #85 on the relay.
Connect #87 to the starter solenoid.
and that's it.
Long story. The service manual reads that the starter needs 11 volts, well why not 12V? I had 11.5 volts at the starter solenoid wire and still click click freakin click.
((special note)) *Be sure to cut off the old connector to the start solenoid and strip the wire real nice and crip on an insulated female slide connector, plug that into a male slide connector and wire that goes to the relay, so if ever one wants to go back to the factory arrangement, just disconnect from the from the male connector and connect back to the solenoid.
Be sure to also,crip down the slide connector a little so it grabs the solenoid terminal real tight.
Be sure to use at least 16 gauge wire and 12 gauge wire from (fused)12v from the battery to the relay and from the relay to the starter solenoid.
Be sure to use the proper ring terminals at the battery. A female slide terminal at the solenoid wire and use good wire crimpers with wide teeth, so you get a real good crip. Most of the wire crimpers available aren't very good, because their teeth are to narrow and don't grab the wire well enough.
I also added a hidden security switch as a theft teterant.
I see where someone had wired up a start relay, I wasn't all that thrilled with the install so, after I thought it though some, I came up with my own. Problem fixed, I hope this helps someone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 382.JPG (435.1 KB, 658 views)
File Type: jpg 385.JPG (424.8 KB, 637 views)